Bishop Folts leading a service

Sidenote: I have to admit upfront that I wish that I had more pictures to share. I do carry my camera with me, in the hopes that someone (other than yours truly) will take pictures of the congregations that I have the pleasure of visiting. Sometimes it happens — other times, it doesn’t. The memories, however, remain with me — and I will continue to try and capture as many images as I can to share with you as these missionary adventures continue! — Bp. Jonathan


January 2021

St. Paul’s, Brookings: January 10

The first visitation of the new calendar year was made to St. Paul’s in Brookings. The Rector of St. Paul’s is the Rev. Dr. Larry Ort, who, during this visitation, accepted the invitation to become a member of our Diocese’s Examining Chaplains. Fr. Larry is a person of many talents, one of which is ice fishing — and although the fish were biting prior to my arrival on Saturday evening, Fr. Larry’s Episcopalian friends convinced him to get off the ice in time so that we could all have dinner together! (As a result, if Fr. Larry ever cancels on me during the winter months, I will be expecting a package of fish…)

This visit began with a lovely dinner with Fr. Larry, Judy (his wife), Kim (my wife) at the Pheasant Lodge. This was the same place where I had dinner with the Ort’s last year, and I was glad that Kim could join me on this visit. It was a joy visiting with Fr. Larry and Judy again and catching up on how things were faring with them and their family.

The following day, it was a hybrid service insofar as there were some people in the congregation while others joined us through Zoom technology. Fr. Larry had the computer set up in front of the altar, and so, as I preached, I was able to see both the physical and virtual congregation. 

Following the service, Fr. Larry had arranged a meeting with the Vestry of St. Paul’s. Some of the Vestry members had attended the service in person, and others joined us virtually. We had an excellent conversation about the continued outreach ministry occurring in their parish (including drug rehabilitation), their building projects, their partnership with St. James, Enemy Swim, and Grace Church in Huron, and their use of technology. Fr. Larry is also very active in the Brookings Interfaith Council and is a member of the board of directors for PFLAG. St. Paul’s congregation advocates for the LGBTQ community, minorities, immigrants, and the poor, and we are grateful for their ministry.

Afterward, Kim and I were invited by Fr. Larry and Judy to join them again at the Pheasant for brunch. On Sundays, the specialty of that restaurant is their Norweigan waffles (never heard of the things before). Taking the hint and cue from Fr. Larry and Judy, I ordered what they did, and it was spectacular. Against my wife’s wishes (she drives when we’re together and is frugal in the number of stops that she’s willing to make on the road), I joined Fr. Larry in a third cup of coffee as we continued our discussion about, well, everything. Kim and I left there, grateful for our time with the Ort’s and St. Paul’s. 

On the way home, the wind was fierce — and, thirty miles outside of Pierre, the right hood latch of the Jeep (made of rubber) ripped off and went flying past my window. Last winter, the wind ripped off the left hood latch. As much as I revere tradition, I made a mental note to find and order metal hood latches for the Jeep….

St. Andrew’s, Rapid City: January 16th and 17th

The road trip to Rapid City was definitely an adventure. Given that I was still missing a hood latch and that the forecast was calling for 55-65 mph winds, we opted to take Kim’s truck instead of my Jeep. Twenty miles outside of Pierre, however, the wind was so strong that it ripped (and broke) the heavy tarp covering of the truck. I genuinely wish I had a video to share of Kim and I wrestling this cover, which was flapping in the wind like Superman’s cape, into some semblance of a roll. We drove back home, repacked all of our bags into our daughter’s Camry (she was with us), and we started off again.

This was indeed a “packed” weekend. If Covid-19 was not a reality, I would have been physically attending Winter Talk, a gathering of Indigenous communities across the Episcopal Church on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Because of COVID-19, however, our time together was going to be virtual on those three days. Blessedly, thanks to technology, I was able to attend most of the conference and do a visitation on the same weekend.

The visitation at St. Andrew’s began with an Evening Prayer service on Saturday, January 16. Usually, without COVID, a Holy Eucharist service is held at that time. Fr. Cody Maynus, Rector of St. Andrew’s, and Deacon Marty Garwood were excellent hosts. The Evening Prayer service was extraordinary, and I so appreciated the care that was invested into it. During that service, Fr. Cody asked me to ask God’s blessing upon St. Andrew’s new audiovisual equipment, which I was happy to do. Obviously, one cannot be expected to sprinkle water over electronics, holy or not. So Fr. Cody had planned to have the Bishop swing incense over it. Unbeknownst to Fr. Cody, however, THIS Bishop had never swung incense in his life. So, once again, St. Andrew’s is known for a new “first.” To my credit (I say in all humility), I did not set my vestments…or anyone else…on fire.

After the Evening Prayer service, I enjoyed sharing a meal with Fr. Cody and Deacon Marty at the church. It was so good to visit with the two of them and learn more about their respective ministries and how life was treating them. I am genuinely overjoyed that these two saints are serving God and the people of St. Andrew’s with each other — they are an outstanding fit.

On Sunday morning, Fr. Cody and I shared some virtual fellowship time with some members of St. Andrew’s using Zoom technology. I appreciate the different ways that our congregations are using technology to stay in touch with each other and to share fellowship.

Following the fellowship time, we all worshiped together, celebrated the Holy Eucharist, and rejoiced in the confirmation of two new parishioners, Kristen and Carissa. I had met both of them when I was at St. Andrew’s for Fr. Cody’s installation, and it was a joy to confirm them both as new Episcopalians. Kristen and Carissa are teachers on the Pine Ridge reservation.

Kristen, Carissa, Deacon Marty, and I participated in a “drive-by communion after the service.” Parishioners who had watched the service online then drove to St. Andrew’s to receive communion. It was indeed a holy moment. I would distribute the sacrament to those who came; Deacon Marty would then introduce Kristen and Carissa, and then one of them would deliver slices of a special confirmation cake to the car!

Afterward, Kristen, Carissa, Deacon Marty, Fr. Cody, Kim, Chloe, and I shared an excellent pulled pork lunch and great conversation. And, blessedly, the trip home was not nearly as adventuresome as our ride there!

Christ Church, Chamberlain: January 23

Christ Church in Chamberlain is a delightful small congregation overseen by the Rev. David Hussey. Fr. David, who also is the Supervising Presbyter of the Mne Sosa Mission, preaches and presides over the Eucharist at Christ Church every other Saturday. This was my first visit to Christ Church as the previous visits had been canceled and rescheduled due to concerns related to the COVID-19 virus. Although the winter weather threatened to cause us to postpone this visit again, all was good, and Fr. David and I made the journey together to Chamberlain in my Jeep on that Saturday afternoon.

Four members of Christ Church’s congregation were present, and we all had a nice introduction to each other before the service began. I learned that the building of Christ Church was most likely the oldest in the community, and it’s a building worth seeing if you are in the area. Although we may have been small in size that evening, we were mighty in spirit!

Following the service, the six of us went downstairs for a wonderful dinner of fried chicken, potato salad, and a jello dish (that was extraordinary!). Best of all, we enjoyed a good conversation about Christ Church, the challenges of being a small congregation that has to compete with “mega-churches,” and general life in our nation and local communities. I also discovered a special connection between one of Christ Church’s parishioners and me. It turns out that Sondra Zigler’s maiden name is “Foltz.” (For the non-linguists out there, “Folts” is Dutch and “Foltz” is German.”) I truly appreciated this opportunity to meet the members of this congregation for the first time, and I look forward to coming to know them even better.

It was a delight spending time on the road with Fr. David, who is no stranger to traveling all over South Dakota. Fr. David had served as Bishop John’s Canon to the Ordinary and had spent much “windshield time” visiting churches. In fact, as we were traveling back to Pierre that night, we were enjoying talking with each other so much that we overshot our exit by about twenty miles… (We are missionaries, after all…)

Trinity, Watertown: January 31

Kim and I drove to Watertown on Saturday, January 30. During the drive, I participated in an excellent meeting of the Thunderhead Episcopal Center board facilitated by Julie Gehm, the board’s President. I am so very grateful for her work and all the board members and participants: The Revs. Portia Corbin, Cody Maynus, and Mercy Hobbs — and Bob Mayer, Jan Sanford, Christopher Soukup, Tamara Fonder, and Cassie Boettcher, the board’s newest member!

After arriving, we had a delightful BBQ dinner at the Country Road Barn, owned and operated by two parishioners of Trinity, Watertown — Brenda and Bob Boettcher. If you happen to be in the area, do stop by — We were able to sample their ribs, brisket, and pulled pork between the two of us. (Then, on Sunday, Brenda brought their chicken to the potluck!) Because the rush had not yet hit, Kim and I were able to have a good visit with Cassie Boettcher, Brenda and Bob’s daughter (mentioned above), a Bexley-Seabury student seminary and who helped to run the virtual camp experience from Thunderhead Episcopal Center last summer. 

Trinity Episcopal Church in Watertown is housed inside a former school building. The worship space is in a large room that has been beautifully and thoughtfully decorated and arranged so that, no matter where a person sits, everyone can see everyone else. Trinity is a beautiful congregation with solid outreach programs (“Laundry Love,” AA, and prison ministry tops their list). At this point in time, Trinity does not have a rector, but that does not slow them down in the slightest. When they are not conducting Morning Prayer, they are faithfully served by supply clergypersons such as Fr. George Parmeter and Mother Marion Paulis.

On this Sunday, we celebrated the confirmation of a member named Londa and the baptism of her two sons, Elijah and Sebastian! And for the first time in my almost 25 years of ministry, a baptismal candidate looked right up at me in the middle of the baptismal service and said in a loud voice that he needed to take a “nature break” — so, in true South Dakota flexible fashion, we listened to some music while he took his break, and then the service continued right on along! Afterward, we enjoyed a bountiful potluck and visit while a host of children played all around the gymnasium! I was introduced to two middle-school friends who shared with me that they had found Trinity Church all on their own, were asking questions about the Christian faith and Episcopal Church, and had been attending services together and helping with the “Laundry Love” project. It was indeed a lively and joyful Sunday to experience!

February 2021

Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Rapid City: February 7

Kim and I once again ventured towards Rapid City, and this time it was for a visitation service to Emmanuel! Emmanuel Episcopal Church is being served by their Rector, the Rev. J.D. Barnes, newly transplanted into our Diocese from Alabama. Additionally, Mother Virginia Bird continues to serve God and Emmanuel’s good people as their Assistant Rector. Our time began by joining Fr. J.D. and Mother Virginia for dinner on Saturday night. Kim and I always enjoy this time with the clergy in our Diocese and their spouses when they can join us. (Amanda, Fr. J.D.’s wife, was bringing their youngest son home from a Boy Scout outing.)

Fr. J.D. had his “baptism” into the Diocese of South Dakota by being asked to host one of our locations for last year’s Diocesan Convention — something that he and the team from Emmanuel did very well! Fr. J.D. is very knowledgeable and adept with technology, and that certainly has come in handy during these times. 

At 8:00 AM, we celebrated a Rite One celebration of the Holy Eucharist and, during announcements, recognized one of their young members who had learned the Lord’s Prayer. There was a Zoom coffee hour in-between services during which I had an opportunity to hear from some Emmanuel members, some of whom had been there most, if not all, of their lives. Amanda brought in a few of the Sunday School children who were on a scavenger hunt in the middle of this coffee hour. For a brief, fleeting moment, I thought that one of the items that they had to collect on this hunt was a bishop! Luckily, they were searching for the Bishop’s Niobrara cross and ring — and this allowed me to do a little show and tell! (See picture below — and my thanks to Fr. J.D. and Amanda for supplying the photos for this visit!) At 10:15, we celebrated a Rite Two celebration of the Holy Eucharist and recognized two other youngsters who had learned the Lord’s Prayer.

I could not be more pleased or happy with Emmanuel’s choice of a new Rector, and I commend their Search Committee and Vestry for a task well done. I am looking forward to hearing about the ministry that will be happening in Emmanuel and wish God’s blessings upon all their fine congregation!

Following the visit, Kim and I drove over to St. Andrew’s in Rapid City. There we joined Canon Portia Corbin, Fr. Cody Maynus, Deacon Marty Garwood, and Anne Popejoy (Diocesan Council member) to draw the winning ticket for the quilt raffle. The quilt being offered had been donated by “Grandpa Don” Metcalf, and the proceeds from the ticket sales are going towards supporting Thunderhead Episcopal Center. The winning ticket belonged to ______ and we offer our congratulations to her! We also wish to thank everyone who participated by buying a ticket and for your ongoing support.

Episcopal Diocese of Wyoming: February 13

This weekend, I was in Laramie, Wyoming, to participate in the Rt. Rev. Paul-Gordon Chandler’s consecration service as the tenth Bishop of the Diocese of Wyoming. The service was held at St. Matthew’s Cathedral and the Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori, former Presiding Bishop, presided. (Due to the COVID-19 virus, there is a travel ban for all National Church staff.) This was my first opportunity to meet Bishop Paul-Gordon in person, and I am looking forward to a good and strong friendship over the next several years. For more information about Wyoming’s tenth bishop, please visit The Episcopal Diocese of Wyoming has been a very supportive partner of Thunderhead Episcopal Center, and we are grateful!

The bishops gathered at 8:30 AM to sign and seal the new Bishop’s consecration certificate, which was a first for me. Whereas most bishops use their rings to make their imprint on the wax, South Dakota has a stamp that is rather…large by comparison!

It was good to re-connect with Bishop John Smylie, Bishop of Wyoming retired; Bishop Brian Prior, Bishop of Minnesota, retired; Bishop Kym Lucas, Colorado; and Bishop Robert Jones, Bishop of Wyoming, retired. (Bishop Jones — whose picture is also included — was the Bishop of our very own Fr. George Parmeter when he served in the Diocese of Wyoming.) 

At this service, I was also able to thank The Very Rev. Lori Modesitt, Director of Education of the Diocese of Wyoming, for the Safe Church Training that she provided our clergy in January. Additionally, I met Jessica Reynolds, Comptroller and Bishop’s Assistant, who has been a tremendous resource and friend to Canon Mitch Honan. Collaboration in our province is a blessing, and I look forward to seeing that continue!

As we entered the Cathedral, we participated in the cedar smoking ritual. A picture of the Arapaho man in charge of the ceremony is included in the photos posted on our website. Although COVID-19 did change some protocols, it was a superb service, an excellent day for the Episcopal Diocese of Wyoming, and a blessed day for the church! May God bless Bishop Paul-Gordon and his upcoming episcopate.

(Oddly enough, the book that I will be discussing with our clergy during 2021 is entitled We Shall Be Changed: Questions for the Post-Pandemic Church, edited by Bishop Mark Edington. I was finishing that book on this trip. Want to guess who wrote the first essay? The newest Bishop of Wyoming!)

Trinity Episcopal Church, Pierre: February 21

On Saturday, February 20, I had the pleasure of having dinner and meeting with the Rev. Mercy Hobbs and some of the Vestry members of Trinity, Pierre. It was a time of fellowship as well as an informal “Question and Answer” session. For those who are reading this and may not be aware, our Diocesan Offices are located at Trinity Episcopal Church. Although Google still has us located at Calvary Cathedral in Sioux Falls, Bishop Tarrant moved the offices to Pierre during his episcopacy to be more centrally located in the Diocese. As a result of our offices being housed at Trinity, Mother Mercy and the Vestry are familiar faces!

We enjoyed an excellent time of worship on Sunday, February 21, and a time of fellowship with the congregation afterward. They have done a fantastic job dealing with COVID-19 and its various challenges and were among the first of our numbers to begin offering their services on FaceBook with no small credit given to Claire Hussey, daughter of Mother Mercy and Father David Hussey. Trinity was the first church I visited after the consecration service on November 2, 2019, and it was a joy to return to their pulpit and stand behind their altar! 

February 28 (and March 7) -- Vacation Time!

On February 22, Kim (my wife) and I left South Dakota to take a two-week vacation. The first part of our vacation was spent in Sanibel, Florida, visiting Kim’s parents — and the second part was spent in Boerne, Texas, visiting my parents. We had a glorious time seeing family and old friends. Because of the timing of our vacation and having reached out to friends of ours in Buda, Texas, I was invited on March 6 to preside over the committal service of Bill Bedingfield, Bishop’s Warden Extraordinaire, and Godfather to our eldest son, Cameron, at Camp Capers (Diocese of West Texas). While in Florida, I literally “lassoed” a mangrove snapper on a fishing trip my father-in-law arranged. The hook never went into it — the fishing line went around its mouth and behind its fin. In complete deadpan mode, when the guide asked me how I lassoed a fish, I told him that that’s the way we do things here in South Dakota….

Because we were traveling home on a Sunday, I regret not being able to worship with the good people of St. Helena’s in Boerne. Before I became your Bishop, St. Helena’s entered into a partnership relationship with Messiah Episcopal Church in Pine Ridge Mission, under the leadership of Fr. Harold Eagle Bull. While in Texas, I was able to meet the Youth Director at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Kerrville, Texas, and discovered that they are partnering with St. Helena’s in this venture. (As a result, he and I had a fruitful 90-minute meeting after I returned home — he thought we were going to meet for 30 minutes — but who can talk about South Dakota’s blessings for only half an hour???)

I am looking forward to seeing this partnership develop and, now that the COVID restrictions are lessening, being able to visit Fr. Harold and the people of Messiah soon!

Eastern Deanery Visitation: March 21 - March 28

On Saturday evening, March 20, I began the first deanery visitation of 2021. It started with taking several clergy from Calvary Cathedral and their spouses out to dinner before the official visitation the next day. To say that it was glorious to be able to see and to talk with friends in person, without little boxes framing our heads, would be an understatement.

On Sunday morning, March 22, I celebrated and preached at Calvary Cathedral at their 8:00 and 10:00 AM services and at the Tiopsaye Eucharist service at 12:30 PM. Additionally, I was able to join their virtual coffee hour in between the morning services. I am grateful to the Very Rev. Ward Simpson for his leadership, and it was good to be able to worship at God’s altar with him and with Deacon Arlene Pearsall.

Then, from 2:00 -4:00 PM, I joined the Rev. Shaneequa Brokenleg and many others who gathered back at the Cathedral for a beading workshop that I had learned about the night prior. Having never beaded before and having earned the reputation of running away from all things related to arts and crafts (long story), Shaneequa+ was a great instructor! As a result, I’ve now got a new hobby that is not church-related…kind of. Most of all, I enjoyed the stories and conversations at the table! I’ve completed two bookmarks on a loom and am in the process of finishing a third.

On Tuesday, March 24, the clergy of the Eastern Deanery and I met for Holy Eucharist, lunch, and discussion surrounding the book, “We Shall Be Changed: Questions for the Post-Pandemic Church” by Bishop Mark Edington of the Episcopal Congregations in Europe. It was great to be with all these clergy colleagues, and I was grateful that two of them could join us by Zoom.

At 5:00 PM on that same day, I had the blessing of preaching at the service held by the Benedictine Community Prior of Our Lady of Walsingham that worships and shares fellowship together at our Cathedral. The Very Rev. Prior Warren Shoberg celebrated and has the most natural singing voice for chanting the Eucharist that I have ever heard in my life. Afterward, we shared a delicious meal as it was a very festive occasion — it was St. Benedict’s Day as observed by Benedictines. (It’s observed differently by others — but I’m going to let you visit with Fr. Warren to learn why!)

On Wednesday, the 24th, I met with Dean Ward in the morning and had lunch with our Diocesan Chancellor, Steven Sanford, over the noon hour. This was the first time Steven and I have just visited face to face, and I was highly grateful for his hospitality and time. Steven has served our Diocese well, and I am so thankful.

That afternoon, I met via Zoom with the Indigenous Ministry Advisory Council and then attended an evening ordination rehearsal at our Cathedral for the (now) Rev. Lydia Simmons, deacon. Much later that night, I headed to the airport to pick up my wife, Kim, who was flying in from Indianapolis, after having spent nine days with our middle son and his brand new type one diabetic service training dog (Rosa!).

At 7:30 AM the following morning, I joined a group of men from Church of the Good Shepherd and Calvary Cathedral on Zoom for a Bible study. (Given the hour I picked up Kim, and given the hour of this study, I participated from the hotel’s lobby…) At 10:00 AM, I met via Zoom with the clergy of our Diocese for our weekly meeting and, at 11:00 AM, I met via Zoom with the Rev. Lauren Stanley, our now new Canon to the Ordinary.

That evening, at 7:00 PM, in the presence of God and a physical and virtual congregation, we asked the Holy Spirit to make Lydia Simmons a deacon in Christ’s one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church. This was my second ordination service to preside over as your Bishop, and my first ordination to the diaconate. I was and am so proud of Deacon Lydia and of all who have played such an instrumental role in her formation. Deacon Lydia, who will graduate from seminary in May, will be serving as our Missioner for Camp and Young Adult Ministries and as the Rector of Christ Church, Lead.

On Friday morning, March 26, I spend a few hours perusing through our diocesan archives at Augustana University. After just a few minutes of reading letters addressed to Bishop William Hare — some of which were extraordinarily hard to decipher due to the handwriting — I came into an even deeper appreciation for Virginia Sneve and all her research piecing together the history of our Diocese. I look forward to returning and learning more about Bishop Hare, the first Bishop of South Dakota, who has my utmost admiration and respect.

That afternoon, I spent two hours on Zoom visiting with a priest interviewed by the Search Committee and Vestry of Christ Church, Yankton. I am delighted to report that a call has been extended and accepted, and as soon as a Letter of Agreement is signed, we will release this new priest’s name. Christ Church has been without a priest for almost four years — and this is indeed a reason to celebrate!

That evening, I met with the Vestry of Calvary Cathedral. Typically, I meet with the Vestry or Bishop’s Committee of a congregation when I visit. However, due to COVID-19, we decided to have a separate meeting to discuss how the Cathedral participates with God and each other in God’s mission. (Meeting with me by Zoom, by the by, is ALWAYS an option for Vestries or Bishop’s Committees.) 

On Palm Sunday morning, March 28, Kim and I traveled to Christ Church in Yankton. There we were met by Deacon John Keyes, faithful servant of our Lord and current worship leader of this stalwart parish. Words cannot begin to describe my experience that Sunday with this patient and faithful congregation. This was the first time that they had gathered for public worship since COVID-19 started — a new acolyte, named Matthew, was serving for the first time — another young person, named Emma, allowed herself to be recruited pass out palm branches — and we SANG (with masks) the Palm Sunday hymns! It was simply glorious. I also thoroughly enjoyed meeting with the Vestry and Search Committee of Christ Church afterward and, as previously stated, am very happy for them and the call to the new priest, which has been extended and accepted.

During this week, the Letters of Agreement (job descriptions) between our Diocese and Canon Cody Maynus, Canon Lauren Stanley, and Missioner Lydia Simmons were all composed, communicated, and agreed upon the following week. All in all, this was a fabulous first deanery visitation, and I am looking forward to the others that follow!


On February 9, many clergypeople who faithfully serve small congregations met with me in Pierre for our first gathering together. The purpose of this time was to learn more about what it means to be a missional church. In short, a missional church is a congregation that actively engages its surrounding community while, at the same time, communicates the redeeming message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If a congregation is not actively engaging its community in being transformative agents of God’s change and sharing the “why” of what they do — and, instead, is simply waiting for people to come to their church on their own — that congregation is not going to grow. However, this program that I presented is not just a program for small churches — it’s a program for ALL congregations and will be offered again in different contexts.

On February 16, Shrove Tuesday, I took the Diocesan Staff and Mother Mercy out for pancakes at Perkins due to the traditional Pancake Supper at Trinity, Pierre, being canceled due to the COVID-19 virus. Canon Honan opted to order biscuits and eggs. As a penalty, he has been assigned an additional week of Lent.

On February 18, I met with the Examining Chaplains of our Diocese to discuss how we could determine the academic proficiency of candidates for the permanent diaconate and priesthood. We had a very fruitful discussion and are off to a good start — and I am grateful to the Very Rev. Ward Simpson in his leadership of this group.

On February 20, the Diocesan Council met and had an excellent meeting. Along with the normal items such as receiving financial and staff reports, a new diocesan policy regarding clergy who wish to serve congregations past the age of 72 was passed; we welcomed Cassie Boettcher as the newest member of the board of Thunderhead Episcopal Center (TEC); scholarship donations given for TEC will now be put into a newly created “Don Metcalf Scholarship Fund”; and Fr. Clay Riley was appointed as the newest member of the Commission on Ministry. At the end of the meeting, the Revs. Canon Portia and Chris Corbin announced their departure from our Diocese to serve in congregations in the Episcopal Diocese of Fond du Lac. Portia was serving our Lord and us as our Canon for Formation, and Chris was serving as our Canon to the Ordinary. We are grateful to them for their ministry — they have served God and our Diocese well — and we wish them and their children all the best in their new positions.

On March 9- 12th, I participated in the House of Bishops meeting, which met virtually due to Covid-19. The primary focus of our time together was on the subject of racism. On March 11, I excused myself from this gathering and was honored to be invited to be the celebrant at the funeral for Pierre Traversie, beloved husband of Deacon Ina Traversie, at St. John’s, Eagle Butte. May Pierre’s soul and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

On March 16, I met with the Indigenous Ministries Theological Education Committee. Please stay tuned for further information about a future conference about this vital subject! 

On March 19, I met with Marthe Curry, World Mission Officer for the Episcopal Diocese of West Texas. They are very interested, as are we, in establishing a partnership relationship between our two dioceses. Please keep this venture in prayer!

On March 27, I met with the Thunderhead Episcopal Center Board and I continue to be grateful to Julie Gehm and to all the members for their ongoing work and ministry!